Monday, March 28, 2011

NCLEX SCHMENCLEX


I really look like such a dork in this picture.
I just wanted to show off my really cool purple scrubs.
When my class goes to hospital for clinicals, we're known as the sea of purple people.
I probably will never wear purple again though when I become a nurse. It will remind me of the Hellish days in nursing school. Excuse my French. :)

But let's just go through a typical week of nursing school... LIKE THIS WEEK FOR EXAMPLE!

Monday:
-class from 8-11.
-clin sims from 12-3 (this is where we go into an evaluation room and we're given a scenario about a patient and we basically have to take care of this patient and act like their nurse... give meds, insert NG tube, insert cath, draw blood, all that fun stuff... and our nursing instructors are on the other side of a double sided mirror watching everything we do. pretty intense.)
-Get patient information at the hospital from 4 to 5 and then go home and write up med cards and memorize them so I don't look pathetic as my clinical instructor drills me on everything about each medication.

Tuesday:
-Clinicals from 0530-1830
-As soon as clinicals are over, I need to come home and study for a horrid test on Wednesday

Wednesday:
-Take test... and hopefully I will be smart and not drink a whole bottle of water right before the test and then have to use the restroom half way into the test, but we can't leave the room until we're done with the test, so I'm rocking back and forth and my hands are shaking because I have to go so bad... ya, not a good idea.

Thursday:
-We're required to volunteer at least 10 hours during the semester, so I'm volunteering from 9-11 at the cancer center. By the way, Thursday is my mama's birthday. She would have been 48 this year. so I decided to volunteer at the cancer center in memory of her and as a birthday present! :)

Friday:
-10 page research paper due on why I wanted to become a nurse... I have no idea how you can make 10 pages out of why you want to be a nurse... I have 8 pages so far and I'm stumped.

Saturday:
-Do my concept map for the clinical I had on Tuesday... if anyone is wondering what a concept map is... here...

This was my very first concept map


2nd concept map. Really pathetic looking compared to this next one...

I did nooottt make this one. I wish! This is pro status. Someday.. maybe when I'm in 4th block or something. But these are the crazy things we have to do.

This post was pretty much pointless and boring to those who have no idea what I'm talking about... but maybe you can relate in the fact that SCHOOL SUCKS! just like CANCER SUCKS! which I'm writing my research paper about.. sorta...

ps. I thought my title was really funny. The NCLEX is our state board exam after you graduate from the nursing program and it's a $500 test, and that's how you get your actual RN license. but anyway, we voted on t-shirts for the nursing students... and I voted that "NCLEX SCHMENCLEX" goes on the t-shirt. I seriously was cracking up when I saw it. It makes me feel better when I think about it in that way.

Well, I'm going to stop rambling now.
Why am I writing a blog post when I have all this stuff to do?
No one knows...





2 comments:

  1. Kristi, I read this and i got shivers down my spine cause i feel your pain/stress/love for nursing. Your week sounds ridiculous and i haven't forgotten to keep you in my thoughts for your wednesday test :)

    Concept maps, make me throw up in my mouth!! this is my buddies concept maps from this clinical rotation:


    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1836952318109&set=a.1778932747656.190945.1069523118&theater



    disgusting.

    please vent more about nursing cause i love it anddddd in a sick way, i'm happy we can bond over how hellish the program is.

    you're gonna make an incredible RN, keep at it, make me proud sugar :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are doing so many amazing things! all the school is totally going to be worth it. i hate school to but i know we have to go to make a difference. <3

    ReplyDelete